Whew, done! It’s a lovely garment…

02 front

But the knitting was quite exhausting. Just when you finish one thing, there’s another little bit left to do. I used 1430m of sport weight yarn. That’s the height of China’s Glass Trail of Terror, in case you’re into these things. And remember, I’m a smallish human.

All said and done, I’m glad I worked this one seamlessly. As written, the pattern has over 15 components, which means at least 32 ends to weave in, not including any ends from joining yarns. And also, a few of my pet hates like dropped shoulders and an identical front and back – I absolutely do not have the straight-shouldered flattish physique required to carry off a garment where the back is the same as the front! But it was too gorgeous not to attempt, and I’m happy with my mods.

I’ve written a fairly detailed how-to on its Ravelry project page, so will not bore you with all the details here. Essentially, I knit the front and back triangles then joined them in the round with strips of vertical ribbing in between. After that, it was just a seamless raglan. The vertical ribbing consumed the diagonal in the hip area, and spewed it out again at the chest; the picture below shows the side ribbing in the middle with the Front and Back on either side.

sides

Soon after the arms were joined, I started short-rowing to create a scoop neck, wrapping every alternate stitch for a steep rise. Then, a few inches of ribbing flowing out of all the diagonals, worked to double the required height and folded down for a three-needle-bind-off with loops picked up from the base of the ribbing on the inside – giving a firm, non-stretchy neckline, sorely needed in a garment with no other seams in the crucial shoulder/yoke area (because of my mods – the original has a shoulder seam).

I neatened the dangly flaps with an  i-cord BO…

icord

continuing the i-cord into the crotch and butt gaps, for a smooth, continuous outline around the bottom of the garment.

front gap

One other divergence from the pattern: I didn’t do the decreases along the edges of the chainlink sections of the bottom triangles, because I wanted broader and shallower triangles. The decreases keep the cable diamonds and the large diamond (formed by the whole chainlink fabric) the same proportions.  But mine are different, and so ghostly partial chainlinks appear and fade along the edges. I think I can live with that!

partials

Overall, I’m reasonably happy with this one, despite the endless knitting! That is totally my fault, as I think I could have made it shorter. And I think I’ll re-block the sides to be more clingy, as despite the ribbing it still feels too large and hangs down rather unflatteringly straight.

01 front

I used Brown Sheep Nature Sport and 3.5mm needles for most of the work. Ravelled here.

Chainlinked

8 thoughts on “Chainlinked

  • 13 December 2015 at 0:41
    Permalink

    Wow! What an epic knit! You should be proud of all the work that went into it!

    Reply
    • 13 December 2015 at 6:49
      Permalink

      Thanks 🙂 I do think I need to reblock the sides to be a little clingier!

      Reply
  • 13 December 2015 at 19:34
    Permalink

    That is a gorgeous, epic knit! I love the color you chose. It really shows off the details of the pattern beautifully!

    Reply
    • 14 December 2015 at 7:35
      Permalink

      Thank you! I’m liking it more now, and will probably become fonder of it once I block the side ribbing to be more shapely!

      Reply
  • 13 December 2015 at 23:09
    Permalink

    oh wow, that is a jaw-dropping sweater! Love the results, and it was smart to try to do it as seamlessly as possible. the icord bind off looks great, too!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: