I’d been eyeing the Katharine Hepburn Jacket for some time, but the prim little neckline and button bands were not for me. A shawl collar instead?? Why, yes! But the hues of green in this beautiful yarn – swirling between mint, celery, sap, avocado and back again – also begged for smooth plump stockinette to show them off.
I started with the sleeves – easy enough, after a swatch told me my rows/inch and stitches/inch in the lace pattern. I cast on for a fairly snug sleeve, increased gradually and worked arm shaping. And then I made the body all in one piece, in stockinette, to produce this beautiful canopy of greens:
The collar was easy – just two strips of the sleeve pattern (with mirrored cables, of course, and all collar cables twisting opposite to those of the sleeves nearest them, just for extra knitting interest), grafted together at the nape.
And after all this, I didn’t like the cardigan! I thought it floppy and sloppy. Until I wore it to work one day, and then it miraculously hung in shape and fit perfectly; it has now become my to go cardigan. I love it for being warm and woolly and light, bravely and competently battling ferocious air-conditioning. The tight spin, which made the yarn kink back while knitting gave it such structure and durability that there is almost no pilling despite months of regular wear, and the colours – yumm!
Pattern: Katharine Hepburn Cardigan
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug ‘Velvet Leaf’
Amount: 1060 metres. Small amount of third skein left.
Needles: 3.0mm, 3.5mm and 3.75mm
Sleeves: Cast on 55 ( 13x +1 +2selvedge) sts and increased to 71 sts. Cuff worked with 3mm, rest of sleeve with 3.5mm. As written, the sleeves would have been very baggy for me.
Body: Worked in one piece with 3.75mm in st st, with a purl ‘seam’ at sides, and shaping. Shoulders only 2” since the rest is covered by the shawl collar.
Shawl collar: CO 37 sts and worked a long strip. Repeated, with mirrored cables. Sewed along front edges. Grafted the two strips together at the back.
Blocking: because this pattern has lace, and the lace itself is ribbed, it can stretch a lot horizontally and vertically. The key to blocking it is to pin out enough to straighten the edges, but not really stretch the interior.. just enough to make the purl columns visible