Another Colette Patterns Laurel, a simple little template pattern made a teeny bit unsimple.
I’d made some permanent changes to the smallest size already:
- Eliminate the CB seam (so that the piece is cut on the fold) and remove another ¾ inch down the whole length.
- Deepen and lengthen the darts slightly.
- Flatten out the back of the sleeve – it was very puffy and rounded originally.
- Deepen the waist indentations at the side seam and move them by an inch or so.
With these changes, the pattern fits me decently enough, and most importantly, doesn’t require a closure, which is way too much work to install for a simple shift dress. When I’m feeling less lazy, I will probably add an inch through an FBA; it is currently a tad too tight. And lower the bust dart by one inch too.
For this particular dress, I deepened the neckline by 1.5 inches (I should probably make that a permanent change) and added a keyhole with a tie. The sleeves were short to begin with (I was using fabric remnants from a couple of other projects) so I scooped them out even more. They’re now 1.5 inches long at the underarm seam, and about 4 inches from the top of the shoulder.
Pattern: Colette Patterns Laurel
Fabric: printed cotton (it’s not quilting cotton, but I don’t know the exact name of this fabric) with lining material used for bias binding.
Time to make: one weekend.
I find that sometimes my life acquires colour themes. Check out the colour of the binding above and my Ondawa: twins separated at birth! And it’s not even my colour in any way!
I’m plugging away at the gazillion cables, but did find time to enjoy the winter sun by shaving a couple of sweaters. Such a soothing and gentle way to pass time! And look at the difference it makes to the two sleeves, below (top unshaved, bottom shaved)!
I left the fluff in tree branches for birds to line their nests with, but the last time I checked the ungrateful wretches hadn’t taken any.