Over the weekend my beautiful Burrard pullover turned into a pile of worms…

photo1441502594175

Which had a good swim, and then relaxed overnight in a cool breeze. I had a gauge issue with my first iteration of the sleeves and back and had to redo them; but even after that the whole sweater still turned out too small.

Or rather, it was a close fit. Now I love snug fitting sweaters in thin yarn, they’re great layering pieces. But equally, I loathe thick, woolly, cabley stuff that fits like a sausage casing. This was a sweater that shrank in length every time I pulled it over my body, one whose sleeves rode up and exposed wrists to the cold, one which wouldn’t allow me to wear an insulating layer inside. And I guess I’m too much of a product knitter to keep a winter sweater that couldn’t be worn in winter. If it’s cold enough to wear a cabled, long-sleeved sweater, it’s cold enough to need a thin layer or two inside! I thought of giving it away, but realised I love the colour and pattern too much to abandon the project – I will knit it again. 

This time I’m using stitch counts from my Dusseldorf pullover, which fits just as I want a thick, cabley sweater to do. Third time lucky? Fingers crossed!

But look: a new needle roll!

needle roll

I used this pattern and leftover fabric from this blouse. While some of my needles are occupied with other projects, these are, basically, all the needles I own. I built them up carefully, buying sizes I use most often, and I love the clean and spare functionality of a curated needle collection!

Pink Worms and White Flowers

0 thoughts on “Pink Worms and White Flowers

  • 7 September 2015 at 3:42
    Permalink

    Wow! What a determination! You are so right not giving up on your sweater! At the end it will be worth all the time and effort!

    Reply
    • 7 September 2015 at 7:21
      Permalink

      Thanks, I think it’s because I’m mostly a product knitter rather than a process knitter!

      Reply
  • 7 September 2015 at 6:18
    Permalink

    I was 7″ into a bottom up sweater when I realized my gauge had relaxed way too much. Like 2″ more than I planned. So I ripped out to an inch above the ribbing, which is fine, and went done a needle size. Now I am hoping the gauge will follow suit and give me the 2″ of ease I was looking for, not 4″!! Better to rip and redo and have what you want in the end.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: