Finally, my Tangled Vines.

She turned out much better than expected, possibly because of all the finishing work.

Here’s an artfully arranged picture, with finished steek, fabric backing, buttonbands, i-cord button holes (buttoned and open — I love the way the hole becomes invisible when not in use!) and buttons. That’s a lot of finishing work!

Sharp-eyed readers may notice that the button side has a simple BO with CC, instead of i-cord. That’s because I ran out of the green yarn. That’s also the reason why I couldn’t make pockets as planned here.

I’m still not madly in love, because of the colour.  And the high neck.

Let this be a slightly bitter lesson to me, to only knit things I lust after, and not those I think I can make work to my taste.

Ehhnyways, Specs:

Pattern: Tangled Yoke Cardigan, Eunny Jang, Interweave Knits Fall 2007

Yarns: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool; 45%wool, 35% silk, 20% nylon; 176m / 50g; six skeins; DK weight yarn; “Wheat”

Anny Blatt Cachemir Anny; 85% Merino, 15% Cashmere; 133m / 50g; about half a skein (left over from various projects); sport weight; No. 738 “Poisse Casse”

And here is proof of the semi-arbitrariness of yarn weight systems. The “sport weight” Anny Blatt was thicker than the DK weight” Silky Wool.

Needles: 3.5mm for body; 3mm for neckband and button-band; 4mm to BO button side; 3.75mm for i-cord BO on button-hole side.

Yarn usage (Silky Wool only):

1st skein: 4” of rib (including some decs)
2nd skein: dec portion of stockinette (4”) + 2” underbust + beg of bust shaping
3rd skein: bust shaping, yoke up till 2” after joining sleeves
4th skein: stockinette part of sleeves.
5th skein: remainder of yoke, half neckband
6th skein: completing neckband, completing sleeves, buttonbands

I record the yarn usage as a guide to myself (and others!) in case I later want to make a garment with similar gauge yarn, but different sleeves/length/neckline.

Mods: Different gauge, added length to body and sleeves, added my usual body shaping, worked in the round and steeked open, colour-work cables, i-cord buttonholes.

Blah blah about finishing here, frustrations here, colour-worked cables here.

Tangled Vines
Tagged on:

0 thoughts on “Tangled Vines

  • 29 September 2012 at 19:07
    Permalink

    Truly a labor of love and one that you’ll get many compliments on whenever you wear this cardigan.

    Reply
  • 1 October 2012 at 3:39
    Permalink

    wow. this really turned out beautifully! i enjoyed reading about it as you laboured through – the finished object is definitely a testimony that it is worth it to stick to these projects that are more difficult!

    Reply
  • 15 October 2012 at 20:14
    Permalink

    This is gorgeous!! I found your blog while after reading your post on the shifting sands cardigan. Your posts are very inspiring to a newer knitting. I am planning on making my first sweater soon.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: